The Gus R. Douglass Institute is located in the Agricultural,
Consumer, Environmental and Outreach
Programs Administration Building near the West Virginia State University campus
at Institute. The GRDI officially came into being as the Department of Land-Grant Programs at WVSU in
2000. Its listing goes back to when West Virginia Colored Institute received its designation as
a land-grant institution in 1890 under the Morrill Act.