Canty House, the residence of Mr. and Mrs. James M. Canty, was
constructed by him in 1923 and named for Mr. Canty. James Monroe Canty came to West Virginia Colored Institute (now WVSU)
in 1893 as head of the Mechanical and Industrial departments. In 1898, he was named acting principal of the Institute.
Purchased by the University in the 1960s, Canty House is the only Greek-revival architecture on campus and possibly
within the university area. It was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on September 23, 1988.
National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form.
The house, which has been moved three (3) times, now serves as the Athletic Hall of Fame.