The Visitor's Center was originally constructed in 1951, as a "Canterbury House," the first in West Virginia.
It was an Episcopal Campus Center and used as a student gathering place, a chapel and a location for social functions
such as teas, parties and receptions until 1972. There was housing for a chaplain in the back.
In 1986 the building became the Canterbury Day Care Center. On February 7, 1991, dedication ceremonies were held and the building was renamed
the Child Development Center. It was to provide child care services for students at the college. Children of faculty and staff
were only to be accepted if space was available. The Child Development Center operated at a loss for several years and was finally closed in 2011.
In 2016, when the Department of Public Safety was moved to the Ferrell House, the "Canterbury House" was converted into a Visitor's Center.