Construction of the Faculty Houses was made possible through the introduction
of a program by President Franklin D. Roosevelt by which the school and community were benefitted.
The cottages were designed by architect, John C. Norman, who was an instructor in the
Mechanics Art Department. He drew up plans for the entire project and ten houses were
built in 1935. Men of color were employed as supervisors of certain phases of the work and student laborers
were able to work off their semester board bills.
FERA 20-B4-34 PWA
4899 WEST VIRGINIA STATE COLLEGE WE DO OUR PART