In 1921 the West Virginia Legislature appropriated $125,000 for a new
administration building on the campus of West Virginia State College.
In a memo dated March 1, 1923,
President John W. Davis wrote about the old Administration Building, "...This building contains seven
classrooms. These constitute all rooms on the grounds built for classroom use... We are forced to use
offices, bedrooms, basements, campus, Doctor's office, space for trades, etc. for classroom purposes.
It is a matter of students taking chairs from place to place. It is clear that a building completed
in 1892 for 14 students is inadequate in 1923 for 738 students."
The new administration building was constructed in 1925 and housed the Office of the President. On
May 3, 1925, it was dedicated at Founders Day exercises.
A review of campus facilities by architectural consultants led to the recommendation in 1974 that the
Administration Building be extensively renovated. A floor plan for renovated was submitted to, and
approved by, the West Virginia Board of Regents. Additional alterations were made to the plans and approved by the Board to more adequately
meet the needs of rapidly expanding programs. The building, as currently renovated, was occupied on May 1, 1980.
Ferrell Hall was named for Dr. Harrison H. Ferrell who began his career at
West Virginia State College as an Acting Dean in 1930. He was Acting Registrar in 1934 and
was named Dean of the College in 1937. Ferrell Hall was dedicated in 1980.
It is also referred to as the: Administration Building and the "A" Building.
The P.A. Williams Auditorium is located in Ferrell Hall and
serves the campus as the convocation and presentation center.