The A. B. White Trade Building was built in 1903 and dedicated
in 1904. It was named for Albert Blakeslee White, the eleventh governor of the state of West Virginia
serving 1901-1905. The Trade School building was a two-story brick building, 229 feet in its greatest length
and 144 feet in its greatest width, with ornamentation of stone, and roofed with slate. The building
contained the Industries for boys, and was considered one of the largest and most convenient building
of the kind in the country. In addition to the two-story part of the building, it had a basement
boiler-room, 40'x38' containing three 70-horsepower boilers used in heating the building and running
a 50 horsepower dynamo.
The buiding was destroyed by fire on March 18, 1923. During the summer of 1923, the building was
rebuilt in such a way to temporarily house the trades courses for the boys and girls and a gymnasium. It
continued to house them and the offices for the school physician, the school nurse and the
superintendent of buildings for several years. It was partly razed in 1942; demolished about 1973.