The first unit of the Wilson Student Union was completed in 1961 and
opened for business on October 5, 1961. Additions were completed in 1970. The Student Union was named
for James C. Wilson, Associate Professor of Physical Education 1948-1967, (WVSC class of 1947). The completed union
housed the college bookstore, snack bar, health center, game room, student activities office, student
government office, student Newspaper office, "The Yellow Jacket", student yearbook office, "The Arch",
and "Our Place", a small vending area and game room. It also had a spacious student lounge, the
Goldston Cafeteria, Banquet facilities, State dining room and the McGee-Hairston Family Lounge.
In 2005 the Wilson Student Union completed a major renovation which included a Cyber Cafe, health center, fitness center and
space for food outlets, meeting rooms, administrative offices and additional space for the the student newspaper and radio
station. The Student Union was rededicated on January 15, 2004.