Dawson Hall, named in honor of WV Governor William M. O. Dawson, was constructed in 1903.
The purpose was to house female students. It was also used for Home Economics. On July 20, 1917, a fire
was discovered on the third floor about 3 o'clock in the morning; the building was completely destroyed.
The Board of Control received $25,000 from insurance and resolved to rebuild the structure
at the earliest date possible. A second building was constructed in 1923 and named Dawson Hall 2
(see Dawson Hall 2 page).