Dawson Hall, named in honor of WV Governor William M. O. Dawson,
was constructed in 1903 to house female students. The original building (Dawson Hall 1) was
completely destroyed by fire on July 20, 1917. A second structure (Dawson Hall 2) was
constructed in 1923. A renovation of the building began in 1996. It was re-dedicated
on August 16, 1999.
Text on image 22 right:
(above picture) The Beautiful 83 Acre Campus Of The State College
(below picture) Dawson Hall The original Dawson Hall was built in 1908 and was burned in 1912. The present structure was
erected in 1922 to accommodate 120 women.
As the college facilities grew, Dawson Hall, a three story brick,
semi-fireproof building was designated for Freshman women;However if there was an overflow in the other women's residence
halls, a few upperclass women could live in Dawson Hall.
In the early 1970's the dormitory became a "co-ed"
residence and was rennovated and restructured in 1977 as a residence hall for upperclass men.